unknown version of concurrent backport

Alexandru Popescu ☀
Hi!

I know this may sound as a very stupid question, but I couldn't find
any references through Google or in the mailing list. I have in one
project a dependency on a jar file: util-concurrent (with the package:
edu.emory.matchs.util). My problem is that I cannot figure out the
original of this file:
it is not the initial Doug's work on concurrent
(http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html)
nor the backport available here
(http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/). Can
anybody remember anything related to such a jar?

many thanks to anybody with better memories than mine

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

PS: I am very sure that it is not something built/modified in house.

Re: unknown version of concurrent backport

Dawid Kurzyniec
Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I know this may sound as a very stupid question, but I couldn't find
> any references through Google or in the mailing list. I have in one
> project a dependency on a jar file: util-concurrent (with the package:
> edu.emory.matchs.util). My problem is that I cannot figure out the
> original of this file:
> it is not the initial Doug's work on concurrent
> (http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html)
> nor the backport available here
> (http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/). Can
> anybody remember anything related to such a jar?
>
> many thanks to anybody with better memories than mine

Is it emory-util-concurrent.jar? If yes, then it is a part of Emory
Utilities package, that has a few extra concurrency utils built on top
of the standard ones: http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/ . Otherwise, it
might be a very old version of the backport, in which case you should
upgrade ASAP.

Regards,
Dawid

On 9/6/06, Dawid Kurzyniec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I know this may sound as a very stupid question, but I couldn't find
> > any references through Google or in the mailing list. I have in one
> > project a dependency on a jar file: util-concurrent (with the package:
> > edu.emory.matchs.util). My problem is that I cannot figure out the
> > original of this file:
> > it is not the initial Doug's work on concurrent
> > (http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html)
> > nor the backport available here
> > (http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/). Can
> > anybody remember anything related to such a jar?
> >
> > many thanks to anybody with better memories than mine
> >

> Is it emory-util-concurrent.jar? If yes, then it is a part of Emory
> Utilities package, that has a few extra concurrency utils built on top
> of the standard ones: http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/ . Otherwise, it
> might be a very old version of the backport, in which case you should
> upgrade ASAP.

Thanks for the answer Dawid. As I pointed out it is not something from
emory (because of the package names). And yes, I think it is very very
old (somewhere around 2 years, maybe 3).

We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).

Any advise?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
  TestNG co-founder

> Regards,
> Dawid

Re: unknown version of concurrent backport

Brian Goetz
> And yes, I think it is very very
> old (somewhere around 2 years, maybe 3).

Time keeps speeding up.  Now, "2 or 3 years" translates to "very, very
old".  How ancient does that make me?  :)

Re: unknown version of concurrent backport

Jan Nielsen-4
Just curious - while I agree small is nice, what is the issue with JAR
size in TestNG? Memory? Download? Diskspace??

Thanks,

-Jan

Jan Nielsen * System Architect * SunGard Higher Education * Tel +1 801 257
4155 * Fax +1 801 485 6606 * [hidden email] * www.sungardhe.com
* 90 South 400 West, Suite 500, Salt Lake City, UT USA

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.

"Alexandru Popescu" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]
09/06/2006 03:45 AM

userConcurrency <[hidden email]>
cc

Subject
Re: [concurrency-interest] unknown version of concurrent backport

)

> > nor the backport available here
> > (http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/). Can
> > anybody remember anything related to such a jar?
> >
> > many thanks to anybody with better memories than mine
> >

> Is it emory-util-concurrent.jar? If yes, then it is a part of Emory
> Utilities package, that has a few extra concurrency utils built on top
> of the standard ones: http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/ . Otherwise, it
> might be a very old version of the backport, in which case you should
> upgrade ASAP.

Thanks for the answer Dawid. As I pointed out it is not something from
emory (because of the package names). And yes, I think it is very very
old (somewhere around 2 years, maybe 3).

We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).

Any advise?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
  TestNG co-founder

> Regards,
> Dawid

Re: unknown version of concurrent backport

michaelok

We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).

Any advise?

>From a user standpoint I would highly recommend trimming down the
distribution if you only use a fraction of it.  I recently installed
some software that, to build, required cygwin (50MB?) and Python
(10MB?).   Fortunately they also supplied just the few utilities from
cygwin required (make for sure, directory utilities, and a few others),
and Python (header files, .dll, and Python code), which made it a snap
to build.

This is also what makes installing software on Linux a mess (various,
conflicting c libraries), although there are also utilities that seem to
make this easier.  I think in your specific case, where it is just one
jar or so, it might not be as big an issue, but if you have many other
dependencies, i.e. Apache, Spring, etc, then it adds up.

My 2c from a user perspective.

-Mike

On 9/6/06, Brian Goetz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > And yes, I think it is very very
> > old (somewhere around 2 years, maybe 3).
>
> Time keeps speeding up.  Now, "2 or 3 years" translates to "very, very
> old".  How ancient does that make me?  :)

I got this vertigo feeling when I noticed I cannot find any references
to this jar. Don't worry about the how ancient we are... at some point
we stop counting because we are too old :-].

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Alexandru Popescu wrote:

> We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
> looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
> anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
> the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
> latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
> I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
> don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).
>
> Any advise?

That JAR was an early prototype, even before the first public release.
If you're really using only a few files, you might be able to pick them
up from the backport source distribution, what may let you save even
more space. The backport is public-domain so there is absolutely no
licensing concerns - you can do whatever the heck you want with it.
(That's why I love JSR 166 :)

If all your stuff works then maybe this is not critical indeed, but the
early versions of backport had a few nasty little bugs that would come
up only on some platforms. The version you're using wasn't even
unit-tested. It's your call...

Regards,
Dawid

On 9/7/06, Dawid Kurzyniec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
> > looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
> > anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
> > the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
> > latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
> > I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
> > don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).
> >
> > Any advise?
> >

> That JAR was an early prototype, even before the first public release.
> If you're really using only a few files, you might be able to pick them
> up from the backport source distribution, what may let you save even
> more space. The backport is public-domain so there is absolutely no
> licensing concerns - you can do whatever the heck you want with it.
> (That's why I love JSR 166 :)
>
> If all your stuff works then maybe this is not critical indeed, but the
> early versions of backport had a few nasty little bugs that would come
> up only on some platforms. The version you're using wasn't even
> unit-tested. It's your call...

Not that I got scared, but a couple of hours ago I have already
decided to upgrade ;-]. Many thanks Dawid for all your advises.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.