"happens-before" on NIO2 between read/write operation and CompletionHandler call

"happens-before" on NIO2 between read/write operation and CompletionHandler call

Does NIO2 ensures a "happens-before" relation between an AsynchronousByteChannel (ASB) read/write action and the first action in the CompletionHandler "completed" method?
I've looked in the javadoc documentation and didn't found any mention of "happens-before" being ensured.

Since NIO2 (presumably) needs to ensure that all writes into the read ByteBuffer are visible to the first first action on the handler "completed" method, I would assume all writes before the ASB.read call operation are also visible.

Thanks,
Pedro

Re: "happens-before" on NIO2 between read/write operation and CompletionHandler call

JSR166 Concurrency mailing list
On 18/11/2019 10:21, Pedro Felix via Concurrency-interest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does NIO2 ensures a "happens-before" relation between an
> AsynchronousByteChannel (ASB) read/write action and the first action
> in the CompletionHandler "completed" method?
> I've looked in the javadoc documentation and didn't found any mention
> of "happens-before" being ensured.

We should update the javadoc. Can you create an issue in JBS for this or
bring it to the OpenJDK nio-dev mailing lists for discussion?

-Alan