Need advice

Craig Mattocks
Hi,

I am an environmental research scientist and I am contemplating porting
a large computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation model from
Fortran 90/95 to Java. The code currently runs on unix/Linux clusters
using MPI, distributing "patches" of two-dimensional arrays to separate
nodes/processors to run concurrently (in parallel).

If I restructure the code to use objects inherent to the problem
instead of global arrays of data, what is the current state-of-the-art
framework for distributing these objects to different machines
(nodes/processors) in a cluster?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice and insights.

Craig

Re: Need advice

Gregg Wonderly-3
Craig Mattocks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am an environmental research scientist and I am contemplating porting
> a large computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation model from Fortran
> 90/95 to Java. The code currently runs on unix/Linux clusters using MPI,
> distributing "patches" of two-dimensional arrays to separate
> nodes/processors to run concurrently (in parallel).
>
> If I restructure the code to use objects inherent to the problem instead
> of global arrays of data, what is the current state-of-the-art framework
> for distributing these objects to different machines (nodes/processors)
> in a cluster?

Craig, the most predominate Java Centric parallel processing, distributed
architecture engine is the Javaspaces tuple space that is part of Jini.  It
provides a very powerful mechanism for easily assembling a compute engine.

If you look over on http://www.jini.org under the projects tab, you'll find a
number of grid/compute server projects.  The http://computefarm.jini.org project
might be a good place to look at one example of what has been done.  There are
other examples including some distributed image processing done for realtime
satellite data etc.

If you have questions, drop me an email, and/or subscribe to the
javaspaces-users group visible off of http://www.jini.org.

Gregg Wonderly