How does one write concurrent / distributed pseudocode?

How does one write concurrent / distributed pseudocode?

Millies, Sebastian

Hello,

I’m having to write a specification for some algorithm that is distributed over several machines, computing their tasks concurrently. I already been given some sort of pseudocode (reads a bit like Pascal) for the individual tasks (each running sequentially in its own process). Is there any “standard” for writing pseudocode for distributed computing? Or does everyone cook up their own thing? The requirements are really very vague, I’m sure I could come up with something that would fit, but I’d prefer following precedents.

What about the same thing for flow charts?

Sebastian

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Eric Duffaut, Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com

Re: How does one write concurrent / distributed pseudocode?

Szabolcs Ferenczi
Hi Sebastian,

   one option is that you model your distributed algorithm in CSPm notation (machine readable Communicating Sequential Processes) and you can even model check it with help of the FDR tool (Failure-Divergence Refinement).

There might be other options out there but this is one that I think is applicable to your problem.

Cheers,
Szabolcs