ConTest and similar concurrency test tools?

ConTest and similar concurrency test tools?

Joe Bowbeer
In Appendix A of Clean Code (2008, by Robert C. Martin), Brett Schuchert recommends the use of IBM's ConTest testing tool for shaking out concurrency-related bugs.

If one were to update this appendix today, are there some newer tools worth mentioning that are now used for this purpose?

"ConTest is an advanced testing solution from IBM, whose main use is to expose and eliminate concurrency-related bugs in parallel and distributed software. [...] ConTest systematically and transparently schedules the execution of program threads such that program scenarios which are likely to contain race conditions, deadlocks and other intermittent bugs - collectively called synchronization problems - are forced to appear with high frequency. In doing so, ConTest dramatically improves the quality of testing and reduces development expense, as bugs are found earlier in the testing process."

Re: ConTest and similar concurrency test tools?

Henri Tremblay

On 14 August 2015 at 18:19, Joe Bowbeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Seeking tech reviewer

Blake Meike
Hi,
 Please pardon a quick sales pitch.  I’ve followed this list for years and would be really honored if someone here would take me up on this offer.

 I’m writing a book on concurrent programming for Android and I need a tech review.  The book is part of a curated series of Android books, each of which will address a specific topic.  Because of that it is focused (on concurrency) and fairly short (~200 pages).  There is some code to test but, because this is not a project-centered book, not a great deal.

 I’d like to enlist the aid of someone with a good understanding of concurrency and some familiarity with Android who is willing to read the book with a find toothed comb and give honest feedback and, perhaps, try out some of the code.  I estimate something around 20 hours to read and another 10-20 to test things.  Under 40hrs total.

 For this you get $350 from Pearson (yeah, I know), a copy of the book, and, with luck, some notoriety.  I’m obviously prejudiced, but I think it’s an enjoyable read, too.

 Please e-mail me directly if you are interested.

Thanks
 Blake Meike